Walk30 page views

Sunday 20 November 2011

Day 20 ... lots of walk30 variety!

Day 20!!   
Today I just bolted out the door with my ipod and my walking shoes ... I decided to do a variety walk. 
I walked to warm up for about 6 minutes ... while I was calibrating my Nike + fitness app to my walking pace ( which I am not too sure worked).  It is supposed to help the gizmo to measure your distance walked more accurately but I am always sure that I have walked further than it gives me credit for ... it could be that I need calibrating!

I then decided to go through the forest near our home and get a few hills into my walk30. You can see the wooden railing fences here in the picture ... after the hills I did some standing pushups every time I came across some of these fences ... I think that I did about 50 in all!
From the park I did a tempo walk and cool down home for a perfect walk30.

When I go out walking I think in terms of three basic paces after I warm up for about 5 minutes:
1. Steady pace - you are walking at a pace that you can continue for a long time and not feel exhausted ... it is not slow but it is not too taxing.  You feel as though you are getting a good steady walk going!

2. Tempo pace - is a faster walking pace where  you are pushing yourself and you are tired when you are finished and definitely ready to stop. Your heart rate is up and you are breathing a little harder.

3. Interval pace - this is your fastest pace ... you would use it when you are doing speed work and intervals.  If you go back in this blog a few days I talk about intervals and how great they are for building your fitness level, strength and your speed.  It is great to throw a few intervals of 20 to 40 seconds into every walk if you have a good fitness base. Always recover with a steady walk after your interval to get your heart rate down.

Tomorrow will be the finishing day (21) for our third Half Marathon this month ... congratulations will be in order.
Remember that any day can be Day 1 ... Walk On Strong!
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment