Walk30 page views

Sunday 4 March 2012

Day 4 Walking a Half Marathon


Day 4  Walking a Half Marathon 
Remember to vote for the Minds in Motion K W Walking Classic(up to the right  )
What a day!  Up at 6 a.m. to be ready for pickup at 7 a.m. (thank you Cindy!!).  Off to meet Connie and Maureen and a Sunday drive down the 401 to Burlington and the Chilly Half Marathon! Once there we met Mike and his family that had come to cheer him on.
The race began at 10 a.m. so the hour drive got us there in lots of time.  We had a beautiful day today for a 21K walk.  The Chilly is a race that takes you up and down Lakeshore Boulevard ... it is flat and fast and it sure helps when the sun is shining.
Congratulations to Connie and Maureen on completing their first half marathon! Way to go!!

One of the most exciting things about the race was the condition of my feet during and after ... during a half marathon I normally start to feel blisters forming at about the half way point ( I have done a lot of half marathons and this has happened every time). After the race I take off my shoes and I usually find some very tender toes and a few blisters.  The next day a few toe nails start to turn blue and black and after a while I lose a nail or two and wait months for them to grow back. This is commonly know as runners toe. For me its walkers' toe and it is a pain.  I have tried everything and in the longer distance races I always have toe issues.
The incredible news is that my feet are great tonight ... no blisters no tender spots ... yippee!!  I think that it is all about my New Balance 860 walking shoes!!  I love these shoes ... I know this sounds over the top but I have been a fitness professional for almost 25 years and I have worn a ton of shoes.  These are made specifically for power walking and I have really been enjoying them but the real test for me was the race today ... passed with flying colors.
It is time to put my feet up ... hope you all had a great walk30 today!
Sue



No comments:

Post a Comment