Walk30 page views

Monday 9 September 2013

Day 9 New Albany Walking Classic

Day 9 New Albany Walking Classic September 8, 2013

We are back from New Albany, Ohio and the biggest and best race for walkers in the United States, the New Albany Walking Classic!! This is an event not to be missed! The event sold out early this year to the targeted 3000 participants so it was a very impressive start with the entire 10K and Half Marathon group lining up at 8 a.m..

It was a hot and humid day for the race but for the first 10 K we wandered through the beautiful shady streets of New Albany and were entertained by all kinds of talented bands, cheerleaders and individuals that made the time and kilometers fly by!  


It was just about here that we waved goodbye to the 10K walkers.
Then we were directed on with a great big sign!   Notice the handsome guy behind the sign ... that's my husband Dave.



I was in the half marathon group and we continued upward and onward ( there is a slow hill that goes on for about 5K so we were really heading upward) to our turn around point down more rural roads and then we were heading back to the finish ( yipee! downhill! ) and then a huge array of food and fun for the participants.

I have to say I was glad to have my friend Sue (that's right Sue and Sue walking the half marathon!) to encourage me along.  It is always a good idea to have someone that you can share all those kilometers with ... it goes a lot faster and helps you get to the finish.

Congratulations to our Walk On Strong members who came to New Albany with us! Michael did a super fast 2 hours and 35 minutes. I haven't checked on Samantha's time yet but I know she made it across the finish before I did! She did a great race!

I had a few tender toes after the race and a little stiffness but all in all we made it through to the end and we are ready for the next challenge. I always say that if you don't hurt a little after a race ... you didn't walk fast enough!
This fellow could juggle this sign ... he was amazing!


Thank you New Albany! 

A special thank you to Dr. Phil Heit, the race founder and race director, and his wife Cheryl Heit who are such amazing, energetic and inspiring individuals.

I am feeling inspired to get going and get out there even more to walk and train for the next event.  I haven't picked one yet but that may have to wait until the next blog. If you have any ideas I would love to hear them. 

I even went out today and replaced my FitBit walking tracker.  I seem to have left it in Calgary when I was there and no one could find it.  It is an amazing little fitness gizmo ... more on that another day.
Until then ... walk on strong!

Sue




No comments:

Post a Comment